Wednesday 18 September 2013

Research into sub-genres

Psychodrama

A Streetcar Named Desire




I was completely unaware of this sub-genre until I started to research the different sub-genres of drama. Although this film is relatively old and in black and white it shows the clear theme of varying degrees of psychosis throughout the film. I feel that this sub-genre would be extremely interesting to work with as it provides such an interesting basis for a range of stories. I am very interested in using this sub-genre for my trailer.

Crime

The Shawshank Redemption



Crime films are certainly an interesting one to consider as they can cover such a wide variety of topics. I wouldn't say that I'm particularly interested in doing a trailer that is entirely crime based as I do not feel like I'd be able to create a convincing story.

Romance

The Notebook




Romance would be very easy to pull off, however, I feel that it could appear very generic and cheesy if the plotline was not interesting and exciting. It does, however, provide me with quite a wide creative potential as there is such a wide spectrum of stories that I could use and create. It is, however, very hard to be original with romance films as they have mostly all been done before. 

Comedy

Silver Linings Playbook



Comedy is a very easily accessible sub-genre of drama as many films contain aspects of it, no matter how big or small. With that being said, it is very hard to write a good comedy script that is completely original as it is a hard genre to write for. This means that the end result is likely to be unprofessional and amateur. It may be possible for me to include parts of this sub-genre in my trailer, however, it would be unwise of me to attempt to create an entirely comedy based trailer concept.

Tragedy

Titanic



Tragedy films rely a lot on the temperament of the viewer and their personal experiences as to whether it will affect them. This means that it would be very hard to pull off well and write a professional script for with extremely in-depth research into the potential target audience. If pulled off well it could be a very professional finished product,  however, on my budget I am not sure that I will be able to achieve this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment